Saturday, August 1, 2015

That Game I'm Making

The last month or so, I've been working on a little C++ project: An old-school platform game with some new-school additions. It doesn't yet have a name, so it's just "That Game I'm Making" so far.

I'm building it from scratch in C++14 with SDL, blitting every texture like it's 1995. I may migrate to OpenGL eventually, depending on how well the blit-krieg approach scales. We'll simply have to see about that.

I'll attach some relatively recent video of how the game looks today. This is from an experiment with a hybrid maze and cellular automata algorithm I've been working on. It's still a work in progress, but I'll try to write more once I work out some of the kinks.





This is an older video showcasing some of the more recent mobs



As will be abundantly clear to anyone who has played Commander Keen, that is my main stylistic inspiration, although combat-wise it's probably closer to Duke Nukem 2. In summary, I really like ID Software's old pre-DooM creations, and that whole shareware age aesthetic in general :-)

At this point, the game design is fairly undecided. I like the idea of a Terraria-style procedurally generated world, but I want more emphasis on combat and none of that crafting nonsense. More Borderlands, less Minecraft. I'm also looking for a way to negotiate a procedurally generated map. Having the whole Flappy Bird air-jumping I enabled in the first video looks a bit silly.

I'm also drawing all of the assets myself, which is arguably a bigger challenge than the actual programming at this point, although I'm slowly improving in my spriting abilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment